Berks Opera Premieres “These Valleys and Mountains: Legends of Berks”
“These Valleys and These Mountains: Legends of Berks” is a new opera composed by Chris Heslop, with a libretto by Vicki Haller Graff and a direction by Joel Richard Gori.
Mountain Mary left a legacy of loving spirituality and deep healing. Matthias Schaumbacher left the opposite: a legend of greed and violence. How did the seeds sown in the stories of these two people, who lived such different lives, grow in this place we call home?
From our director, Joel Gori, “I have always enjoyed directing the work of Heslop and Haller Graff. This opera is no exception. The libretto and the music offer beautiful moments. The opera also has reflective and dramatic scenes with always surprising orchestration.
Berks Opera Company recently received a grant from the Arthur Judson Foundation for the Spring 2022 production “These Valleys and Mountains: Legends of Berks.”
June 17, 7:30 p.m., Miller Center at RACC
Ticket link: https://millercenter.racc.edu/berks-opera
- Mountain Mary – Maria Damore, soprano
- Mr. Hollinshead – Thomas Killourhy, tenor
- Matthias Schaumbacher – Connor McLaughlin, baritone
- Becky Schaumbacher – Emily Byrne, mezzo-soprano
- Mrs. Sprague/Minnie Ruppert – Mary Fetterman, soprano
- Ms. Keim/Ms. Schroeder – Jennifer Laubach, mezzo-soprano
- M. de Benneville/Elias Featherolf – Orin Strunk/Matt Mangus, tenors
- John Joseph/Oscar Lutz – Christopher Jon Hartung, bass
- Falcon – Lily Oglesby
- Francine Black, piano
- Robin Lilarose, flute
- Julie Drey, clarinet and bass clarinet
- Jill Haley, oboe
- Shari Gleason-Mayrhofer, french horn
- Valerie Trollinger, bassoon
- Kevin McConnell, bass
- Robert Nowak, percussion
- Brent Behrenshausen, percussion
- Chris Heslop, conductor
- James Damore, stage manager
- Lily Oglesby, choreographer
- Brad Gale, scenography
- Brett Buckwalter, lighting designer
- Amy Mozingo, costumes
- Kathie Kustudich, accessories
- Tamara Black, Production Manager
Berks Opera Company receives state financial support for the arts through a grant from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, a state agency funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
Berks Opera Company receives financial support through a grant from the Reading Musical Foundation.
Berks Opera Company is a fictitious name owned by Berks Opera Workshop, a Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation and 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Learn more: https://www.berksopera.org